A Quick Word

"In order to go on living one must try to escape the death involved in perfectionism." -Hannah Arendt (1906-1975)

13 September 2009

The business of being backlogged.

My ideas for updating this blog have all been excessive in scope; my topics are too broad, and the things that interest me often require more words to tell than people express interest in reading. (Not that I think people really read this, anyway. But if they did, I would want it to be accessible.) So, for posterity:

I'm still struggling to get into the swing of things. My bout with the swine flu really threw me off, and has resulted in an accumulation of assignments, which, as any good student knows, simply translates into hours wasted on Facebook rather than actually spending time completing the assignments themselves. It is a vicious (though seemingly inevitable) cycle.

Despite the time I have needed on Facebook, I have found the time to do other activities-- I attended my first Big Ten football game last night, watching the Fighting Illini defeat the Illinois State Redbirds 45-17. I have more analysis for this (and every other football game that has come on this weekend) than I do for John Locke's views on education in the 17th century or for Coleridge's "Kubla Khan." My lack of opinion regarding these latter two subjects is problematic, as a two page write-up on the Illini's current position in the Big Ten, no matter how well-written, will not garner me an A in Enlightenment or British Lit. And thus, I face a week full of Latin charts, ancient Greco-Roman mythologies, Romantic poets, and wars between science and religion that I must trudge through before the freedom of next Friday.

I'm learning the importance of purpose in one's activities, and the crucial nature of conviction regarding outcome and consequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment