A Quick Word

"In order to go on living one must try to escape the death involved in perfectionism." -Hannah Arendt (1906-1975)

16 January 2010

I don't watch movies all that often.

Last night, because my sister took over the basement (meaning I couldn't continue my Xbox marathon), I decided to watch a movie with my parents. After combing through our On-Demand choices, we landed on two very disparate options: Public Enemies and Julie and Julia. I don't fully understand how we came to pit those two movies against one another, but in the end the victor was Julie and Julia, and so I pressed "Order Movie" and we were on our way.

I actually liked the movie. Meryl Streep (as always) was fantastic as Julia Child; I almost felt at parts that the movie should have just followed her storyline and eschewed the Amy Adams (Julie) one altogether. But this post isn't about the movie. It's about blogging. I remembered while watching the movie that I actually have one (a blog, that is), and have neglected to update in some time. For those who have not seen Julie and Julia, the plot revolves around Julie's blog as she attempts to cook her way through Julia Child's famous book Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and is splashed throughout with vignettes of both women and their intertwining stories. See, the blog thing wasn't too far off, was it?

I also realized that my posts are grotesquely uninteresting. Unlike Julie's journey through Julia Child's cookbook, my blogs lack cohesion (as they always have) and convey neither opinion or information. Mostly, one can tell my blogs apart simply because they say very well very little; that is, they lack substance though they always display care for grammar and style. Thus, it dawned on me that I need a journey to chronicle here, much like the one that Julie had.

While I don't intend to wade through Emeril's New Orleans Cooking or anything of that sort, there are a few long term projects/goals that I continue to work on. Of these, the two most compelling are perhaps my novel and my attempt to live on my own (which, as I discovered last semester, brings its own interesting challenges.) From now on, I promise to update on these aspects of my life, rather than focus on my confusion or lack of energy or blah-blah-blah...

We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment