A Quick Word

"In order to go on living one must try to escape the death involved in perfectionism." -Hannah Arendt (1906-1975)

27 April 2010

Hesitation.

I know repeat this often, but please spare me your criticism: I do a poor job of keeping this blog up-to-date.

I mean, I wrote a fairly lengthy piece about my Ebertfest experience, but only got as far as putting it in the "Draft" folder before going to bed and vowing to edit it in the morning. Obviously, I have not made much progress in editing it, as it still has not made its way out of the Draft folder and onto my homepage. I am often torn when it comes to blog posts, as I feel that while I generally have something to say, I would rather do my ideas justice than have them be deposited in vulgarized form on this blog. Thus, I have many Word Doc files with half-typed papers on all sorts of things, but a blog containing nothing. (I am re-writing a novel forheavensake). I'm not someone who advocates half-baked theologies or poorly-penned philosophies-- if you want to write a treatise, then do so, but please don't post it on Blogger or Wordpress. When I see your spelling mistakes and errors in syntax, it degrades whatever you are trying to say (which, many times, cannot be adequately said in something you are by nature trying to condense into blog form anyway). I find it only fair that, if I criticize others for doing these things, then I shouldn't do them myself.  So, what should I do? My life is often too boring to simply offer updates, which is why I also neglect my Twitter account. If anyone reads this and would like to offer some suggestions, I would be more than happy to consider them.

Until then.

1 comment:

  1. I think the main thing that bothers me about such blog posts is that they are not well thought out. Often times they express an opinion which is highly dogmatic without being grounded in facts. However, there are several blogs that are worth reading (Ebert's is a good one, for example). They have the ability to discuss interesting topics, present both sides of the spectrum, and also give a grounded opinion. Also, I think it's interesting that you say you're life is "too boring to simply offer updates," but the piece that you wrote on Ebertfest would be simultaneously a life-update and a way to have your writing available for others to read. Now, I say this and so far, I'm the only person who has commented...so, maybe it would just be for my benefit haha. But still, I think such blog posts would not be gross.

    ReplyDelete