A Quick Word

"In order to go on living one must try to escape the death involved in perfectionism." -Hannah Arendt (1906-1975)

23 November 2009

Which humour controls writing?

I'm one paragraph away from completing all of my work assigned over break. I don't really know why teachers (even now) think that not having class for a week gives students more time to work on assignments. Because when every instructor takes this up this notion, one finds that "break" becomes more of a figurative term than an actual one. (More Latin than usual? Really?!)

Anyway, I'm enjoying this brisk autumn day in northern Illinois. It's cloudy, misty, and perfect for putting the Chieftains on repeat and pretending I'm in Ireland. I spent some of the morning looking at bald people on Google Images. My hairline continues to recede, and it is almost to the sad point where, if the wind blows any strand out of place, my scalp is rather visible. So, to take care of this problem, I aim to simply shave it all off rather than go with the unattractive "thinning hair" look. However, shaving off my hair will reveal my head's awkward shape that was previously masked beneath a bed of brown. My skull is flat in the back, tall, and has an interesting crown in the middle of its top that juts up like the nasal cavity of some ancient dinosaur. For comparison, the closest head like mine belongs to Tiki Barber (perhaps crossed with a bit of Yul Brynner for good measure). So, I'm a bit hesitant to make such a drastic change right now, when there exists little hope for getting my scalp to resemble the shade of the rest of my skin. (The last thing I want is to look like a bleached conehead.) We'll see. My dad says it will have "character."

I suppose that depends on one's idea of "character"-- something tells me that ours don't align.

No comments:

Post a Comment