A Quick Word

"In order to go on living one must try to escape the death involved in perfectionism." -Hannah Arendt (1906-1975)

30 August 2009

On the concept of "blogging."

Generally speaking, I don't really like blogs-- I have felt that they appeal to an unhealthy part of the human psyche. "Blogging," it has seemed, was simply a way to communicate publicly thoughts that would have otherwise been written in a private diary or journal. As if to say "Look! This is the way I feel-- now comment on it!" (a notion that I once believed in), the blogger types away, injecting their own thoughts into the flood of discourse that gushes through the wires of the internet every day. And so, years ago, I stepped away from my Xanga page (oh, the old days of LiveJournal and Xanga...) simply because I was admittedly embarrassed; I felt that my most awkward years were captured on the world's stage, naked, for all to see.

Yet, here I am. Obviously blogging. For whatever reason, I feel the need to wiggle my way back into the web before I allow myself to become irrelevant. I don't use Twitter, and I'm not much of a presence on Facebook (despite the fact that I spend so much of my time on there), so I must assert myself somehow. I want to use this as a tool, so that my friends know what I am doing and thinking even when we are separated by hundreds of miles. And, perhaps, the things I have to say will do something more important than that: spark discussion, cause people to think, or simply entertain. After all, I do fashion myself a writer, and so get a great pleasure from pleasing others with my words.

So, welcome to my brain. "In so many words..."

-Cameron.

No comments:

Post a Comment